LAWS depends on the generous help of volunteers both in-shelter and off-site. For insurance and safety reasons ALL volunteers MUST be 16+ years of age; except for Dog Socializers and Walkers who MUST be 18+ years of age.
All volunteers must complete an application form and be interviewed by phone or in-person before beginning their volunteering duties. In-shelter animal assistants must also attend an orientation session and training before beginning their duties. Most General or out-of-shelter volunteers are on-call or as-needed basis; whereas animal assistant positions are scheduled weekly, same regular day and time each week.
There are many volunteer opportunities to choose from:
Animal Assistant In-Shelter Volunteer
- Morning Dog Kennel Assistant: 2 – 2.5 hours once a week, starting 1/2 hour after dog kennel opening time; where the most kennel cleaning help is required
- Morning Cat Room Assistant: 3 hours once a week, 8:00am – 11:00am cat shift; where the most cat cage and room cleaning help is required
- Afternoon Cat Room Assistant: 3 hours once a week, 1:00pm – 4:00pm; tidying cat rooms, laundry, dishes, dusting, grooming and socializing etc
- Dog Socializer: Once a week, 2 regularly scheduled hours morning or afternoon; same time and day each week. Afternoon times may vary seasonally depending on daylight hours. Must attend Level 1-2 dog classes prior to volunteering.
- Dog Handler/Trainer/Walker: Once a week, 2 regularly scheduled hours morning or afternoon; same time and day each week. Afternoon times may vary seasonally depending on daylight hours. Must attend both Level 1-2 dog and Level 3-4 dog classes prior to volunteering.
General Volunteering & Out-of-Shelter
- Crafts & Baking (for selling or raffling at LAWS events)
- Fundraising (help at LAWS Events)
- Event Planner (help plan/organize fundraising events)
- Office help from home (confidentiality agreement required)
- Education & Public Awareness (help teach an educational program promoting awareness of and kindness to animals) A police background check will be required for this position.
- On-Call Driver (picking up donations, supplies etc; animal vet runs)
- Seasonal Maintenance On-Call (lawn care, snow and ice removal, painting, facility upkeep, etc)
If you are interested in volunteering for LAWS please download either our Animal Assistant Volunteer application or our General Volunteering application.
|Date:||January 15, 2018|
|Date:||January 15, 2018|
Send the completed form
by email to: email@example.com
by mail to: PO Box 156 Smiths Falls, ON K7A 4T1;
or by FAX: 613-283-0982;
or drop it off in person at the shelter 253 Glenview Rd.
Your completed application will be reviewed by our volunteer coordinator. Only those whose interests and skills fit our needs and available openings will be contacted for an interview. In-Shelter Animal Assistant volunteers will then be invited to an Orientation session and complete their training before starting their volunteering.
Volunteer applications will be kept on file for 3 months.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at LAWS.